You just can't go wrong with a seasonal salad...
I’ve made sure to take full advantage of radishes at our co-op, and more recently the farmers market. When I get home, I cut off the radish greens, wash and dry them, and I add the greens in salads or a batch of pesto. The radishes, I wash and store in the crisper in my fridge – they’ll keep for a week, until my next run.
I remember as a kid, my grandmother would eat radishes just with a sprinkle of salt on them. I was curious, and asked if I could try one. And I LOVED it. So simple, but man – I love that peppery bite. Luv and Bugsy don’t quite appreciate radishes yet, but I’m sure they will eventually. *wink*
The crisp bite of radish is balanced with the sweetness of mango. This salad would be a great side dish or add a protein for a simple, satisfying meal. I love adding Wild Planet wild albacore tuna in extra virgin olive oil to this salad for our lunch.
I should say that mangoes are something to be mindful of for those with autoimmunity. Not only are mangoes high in total sugar, they are also in the poison ivy family. Crazy, right? I personally haven’t had a problem handling or eating mangoes, but I also don’t eat them terribly often anymore because of their sugar load. That is also why there is no honey in this salad’s dressing. Ha!
** Add this Radish Mango Salad recipe to your cookbook on Key Ingredient!
- ½ organic lime, zested and juice
- 2 TB raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 3 TB organic extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 organic mango, peeled and sliced
- 8 organic radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 organic English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces organic spinach
- 8-10 organic mint leaves, chiffonade
- *Optional: Protein of choice - I like Wild Planet's wild-caught Albacore tuna, though chicken would also be a good addition.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime zest, juice, and vinegar. Drizzle in the oil while whisking. Season with salt and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together mango, radishes, cucumber, spinach, and mint. Drizzle with dressing and toss gently or serve the dressing on the side for guest's to dress their salad to their preference.
- Top with optional protein of your choice just before serving.